Sunday, January 31, 2010

Purple Comb

I was thinking how nicely my ex-batt's combs were reddening up, then I realised one was looking far too red. It was bleeding. Clearly there'd been some pecking going on in the run. I decided to treat it with the septi-spray that I'd bought just in case. Apparently blood can trigger pecking and also an untreated wound could become infected.

So I picked up the chook and sat her on my lap (with my scruffiest trousers) and carefully held her head steady and sprayed both sides of the comb. She now has a distinctive purple comb.

The sweet thing is she must have enjoyed it. Since then, everytime I go in to give them treats (sweetcorn sprinkled on the floor) instead of heading for the sweetcorn, she heads for my legs and feet. I can hardly take a step for her. She really seems to want attention.

They all seem very perky - and it's been two weeks exactly now and I can see little quills poking through their skin. Hopefully it won't be long before they cease to look like were-chickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment