Monday, July 4, 2011

Moving house and a fresh start

Something of a bad period on the chicken front. Amber died a month ago, Margot and Butterly (two of the exbats) died two weeks ago and Patsy died last week. Having moved out of Fox Cottage November last year, I don't think Dave was looking after them properly - they were out of water one weekend, and it seems odd that they should all keel over within weeks of each other.

Rescue was in order, so after checking with the estates I am renting from, who were fine with livestock, I've just moved Nutmeg and Flora to my new house yesterday and they seem fine. I didn't anticipate that I'd be renting for quite so long, however that is the way things go and at least I have them with me now where I can care for them properly. Now I've moved them I plan to worm them again. At the moment they're happily scratching up their new domain from the pink eglu. I need a receptacle to mix up the flubenvet in. Last time I wormed them I didn't really see much sign of worms - just one or two, so I'm hoping for the same this time but I do want to get it done.

Thinking about expanding my diminished flock with another Amber star and a couple of wyandotte's if I can source them. They are so pretty. I suspect that Nutmeg and Flora will soon go the way of the others as they were all of a similar age.

I'm thinking of selling my green eglu now I no longer have a walk-in-run, and getting an eglu cube...

No comments:

Post a Comment