Thursday, October 23, 2014

Agatha RIP


So sad. This morning I went out to check my happy hens, only to discover my beautiful Agatha sitting outside the eglu dead. She looked quite peaceful, just sitting there with her beak resting on the mesh as her head had I suppose, dropped forward as she drifted away. Animals do tend to go outside to die for some reason. Maybe they feel a bit peaky and fancy some fresh air. Anyway, she must have passed away gazing up at the sky and looked to be in no pain at all.

Such as shock. She can only have been about 3 1/2 years old and last time I saw her alive looked perky, red comb and wattles and trotting around happily with all the othersI wonder if bantams or wyandottes have a short lifespan. She was my favourite to look at - to me the sliver laced variety is the prettiest.

I'll try to hold off getting any replacements until spring. After all, I still have 7 hens. Deeply upsetting though :(

No comments:

Post a Comment