Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Old Girls

Things are moving forward slowly in terms of release of lockdown. We are both vaccinated with the first dose - I can feel those antibodies coursing through my veins. I spend today doing a bit of foot washing for the little sabelpoots - one of them had an enormous almost golf ball sized poop glued around her toe! It took about 10 minutes to soak off. I sit with the chicken between my knees with her feet in a bowl or bucket of water and gently stroke and prod the poop until it comes off. This bit took about 10 minutes. The chicken was amazingly patient. I have to let go of one side in order to fiddle with her foot, but they seem to realised I'm trying to help them and don't flap about. 


I did the other two for good measure, but I bet they'll be all poopy feet by tomorrow again!

I wanted to check how old the girls are, so took a look back at this blog. To my amazement, the two bantam silkies are 7 years old, and the three little booted sabelpoots are 6! They seem happy and healthy as anything. I don't really give them many wet treats, like sweetcorn, but they get a daily treat of corn which I sprinkle around so distract them so I can poop pick, then I fill their little football up and they kick that around a purple trug (to keep it clean and stop it getting buried in the aubiose bedding). 

However, it got me thinking.....should I expand my little flock? The girls haven't laid a single egg in weeks. That is fine, and eggs aren't the reason I have them, but it would be nice to have some new ones lined up. I'm thinking of getting another three bantams. I've found a place about an hour's drive where I can order them online (in view of no walk ins due to covid) and then drive up to collect them. I fancy a gold/buff silkie. They are such pretty things. I also fancy a black and white Poland with a pouffy head. Not sure what the last one might be. I've seen an interesting looking bantam faverolle but I need to look into their personality. Some, like Appenzellers, are terribly flighty and I really like my chickens to be friendly and people loving. 

This will be fun. I have a spare eglu all ready set up for them to settle in before I introduce them to the others. Watch this space!









 

No comments:

Post a Comment