Friday, February 12, 2010

4 weeks on - improving

We're approaching the 4 week mark. In Week 3 I allowed all the chickens out, separated by the mesh fence. Dave had apparently seen them fighting through the fence, but I spied on them from windows and saw nothing so I figured it was safe. Certainly they've shown no signs of damage or stress.

Went out one morning to find Nutmeg in with the newbies. They seemed to be getting on OK so I allowed all 6 to roam together while I stood and watched. However this was not a good idea. Amber and Patsy love the ex-batt crumb and the three newbies (now called Butterly, Margot and Flora) huddled down the eglu end, too nervous to try to get past Amber and Patsy.

So I moved the grub bowl to the outside of the eglu. This was fine for a bit, then the two newbies and Patsy and Amber started fighting big time, running toward each other like little rugby players. Quick action was required and I lifted Amber and Patsy out of the ex-batt enclosure, quickly pegged the entrance shut and they've remained separated ever since.

New quills are clearly present, but I'm going to wait until the ex-batts are well feathered, with no skin showing, before I allow the two mini-flocks to mix. I really want them to be good and strong to cope with the establishment of the pecking order.

No comments:

Post a Comment