Thursday, February 18, 2010

Integration going well

I've worked from home since Tuesday this week. Today is the third day. After introducing them late Monday, I let the roam together all Tuesday. I occasionally spied on them from various windows to see what they were up to but there didn't seem any big conflicts.

Tuesday saw Nutmeg making quite aggressive approaches to the three ex-batts who scuttled away in a little group like elderly ladies. By Wednesday it was better. If the two little flocks came near each other, one might make a slight dash for the newbies who would run away, but nothing more serious than that.

Today is Thursday and no sign of aggression, except I did see one of the ex-batts appearing to peck at the front chest of another ex-batt, where the new feathers are coming through. The other ex-batt didn't seem to mind at all, so not sure what is going on there. Preening perhaps?

At one point, all six were in the walk in run (WIR). There was no conflict at all. It is quite funny, the ex-batts seem really keen on the layers pellets I feed the established hens, and Nutmeg, Amber and Patsy love to gobble up the ex-batt crumb. I think I shall stop buying that from now on as the ex-batts are clearly able to eat the normal organic layers food.

It is now pouring with rain and I looked out to see the most comical sight. Each set of chickens seems fascinated by the accomodation of the other set, with my original hens spending alot of time exploring the new green eglu and run. I now have the three ex-batts sheltering under the pink eglu in the WIR, and the three original hens sheltering under the cover in the ex-batt's run.

I shall introduce the green eglu to the WIR next week, probably on Monday so I can watch what happens Monday and Tuesday. I'm in the office on Wednesday so my overall aim is that all six chickens can be in the nice dry WIR when we're away from the house during the day.

The WIR is starting to look a little small now mind. I wonder if we should build another.

No comments:

Post a Comment