Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Converting a Rablu to an Eglu

Having moved my hens onto the patio and cleaned their eglus, I decided it was time to clean up the red guinea-pig eglu that a friend gave me. I had used it last winter during the complex process of moving 6 chickens from my old house, 5 miles away, to my current house.

Chicken Moving Process:

  1. assemble red guinea-pig eglu & 1m run on patio
  2. after dark (when hens asleep) collect 3 wyandotte bantams from green eglu at old house 
  3. drive back home and put hens in red eglu
  4. next day drive to old house and disassemble green eglu and run and put in car
  5. drive back home and assemble green eglu on patio
  6. that evening, drive to old house and collect 3 big hens when asleep in eglu
  7. drive home and put hens in green eglu
  8. next day drive to old house and disassemble pink eglu and run and put in car
  9. drive back home and pile eglu to one side and collapse with a glass of wine. 
After this procedure, the bantams spend several weeks in the guinea pig eglu, quite happily. When I finally assembled the pink eglu and moved them into that, I couldn't face cleaning the red guinea-pig eglu so it has languished ever since.

There was a sale at Omlet - and conversion kits had dropped from over £70 to about £50. There was lots of other stuff on sale as well, so I put together a big order. When the conversion kit arrived it had very clear instructions with it….for everything except actually converting one eglu type to another. However it seemed to be simply a matter of unscrewing 4 big screws to detach the base and screwing in 4 new ones to attach the new base form.


The red poop tray slides in the back and the roosting bars slot in neatly on top, with the nest box shown just inside the door.

Having a fully functional chicken eglu as a spare emergency "hospital" eglu if I need to isolate a poorly chicken, I now find that another friend has offered me her green rablu plus run and warm jacket.

With two eglus - I wonder if I could get some more chickens. 

Off to browse the internet to see what breeds of hen are around.

No comments:

Post a Comment