Thursday, January 9, 2014

Wyandottes dust bathing




I have recently moved my eglus onto the patio. By winter, the ground in the fenced of run where they were located was getting soggy. The recent heavy rain, chicken poop and constant scratching had created a boggy mess so I shifted them to the drier patio so they wouldn't get so muddy. I feel a bit sorry for the hens restricted to their 2m runs and so let them out when I am around and it is dry enough to run in the fenced off area where they used to be. I've put fresh earth down and am tidying it all up ready to move them back when the weather warms up.

The hens enjoy running around in their run when I let them back in, and Agatha (silver laced), Buffy (buff laced) and Vera (gold laced) head straight for the drier soil under the WIR and start shuffling around dust bathing.

It is so difficult to get a good photo of chickens. No sooner do you point the camera at them than they decide to peck the floor and all you get is a view of their fluffy bottoms. They looked so cute so I was really pleased to get this half-way decent photo of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment