Saturday, January 4, 2014

Winter Quarters & Eglu Cleaning

With the rain we have been having recently, I decided it was time to move my 6 chooks onto the patio. That is where they spent last winter, and it was easy enough to clean the patio when they moved to the end of the garden, but meanwhile they were close to the house, had hardstanding with woodship to walk on so didn't end up caked in mud, and were a little sheltered from the elements by the proximity of the house. It was also useful that one fateful morning when a fox decided to attack the two eglus! Fortunately he didn't succeed in getting in, but I was able to run downstairs, turn the lights on and face him down through the french windows. Chickens were unsettled but unharmed.

It was good time to move them. The chicken end of the garden had turned into a dustbath during the summer, and both eglus were covered in black dust. Jet washing them with my new jet-washer made a huge difference, they were like new. So now my hens are happily on the patio.

My pink eglu hasn't looked this pink since it was new!



No comments:

Post a Comment